There is no shortage of online scams. It is amazing how simple it is for thieves to steal your personal information on the internet. But there are ways of protecting yourself from becoming a victim of a phishing scam. We will discuss ways to protect yourself online in just a moment.
What Is Phishing?
Phishing is an online scam where what looks like a legitimate website is used to lure you to enter sensitive data. This fake website or webpage may appear like one from your bank or credit card company. Typically there is a button on the page that you must click to “verify” your information. This is how your data can end up in the hands of the wrong people.
What Is Spoofing?
Spoofing is similar to phishing but involves the use of an email that appears to be from a legitimate source. Think bank, income tax company, things like that. Again, the directions will request that you respond with personal data which puts your identity at risk.
Tips To Avoid Phishing And Spoofing Scams
1 – Examine The Web Address (known as the URL)
This will be your first giveaway. The website address used by a scammer will not be the same as that from a legitimate site. However, it may be very close to that of the site being faked. If you suspect a scam URL, you can always check it by phoning the place in the email (your bank or whatever) to verify if the email or website request is real or not.
2 – Stay Current On Computer Protection
Use the most up-to-date spam filters, anti-virus software, and firewalls to protect your computer. When an update is available, install it as updates contain protection from the most recently identified viruses and other online threats.
3 – Don’t Delay If You Think You Have Been Scammed
If you have been fooled and gave out your passwords, PINs, or account details to an unidentified source, contact the company immediately to alert them to stop any activity on your accounts that you have not authorized. Change passwords and PINs at the same time.
4 – Be Skeptical
If you receive an unexpected email or phone call requesting personal information, do not provide it. Additionally, do not open links, attachments, or emails from sources you cannot identify as being legitimate and trustworthy.
5 – Only Use Secure Payment Programs
At www.buyforfarm.com we have implemented a secure payment platform. Here’s how it works to protect both the seller and the buyer:
– For sellers, we will create a personal page for you that you fill in all the product info and send a link to your buyer.
– The buyer follows the link, looks over the information, validates it, and makes their payment. The buyer pays through the reliable and secure PayPal or Stripe payment gateways using an account or credit / debit card
– The money spent sits on hold until the buyer receives the product or service they purchased (within a reasonable amount of time).
– Once the Buyer verifies receipt of goods and is happy (does not file a complaint or requests money back) the money is forwarded to the seller’s account.
– If the seller does not deliver on their part of the sale, the money is returned to the buyer (once the product is returned and this is verified).
You could take your chances of buying products online or you could play it safe with www.buyforfarm.com where we have a payment option that is secure and protects both sellers and buyers. Why not try us today?